First Cycle Level 1
School of Health and Social Studies
This course can be included in the following main field(s) of study:
1. Political Science
Progression indicator within (each) main field of study:
Approved by the Faculty School of Health and Social Studies, 22 April 2008.
This syllabus is valid from 01 January 2009.
Revised, 28 February 2013.
Revision is valid from 28 February 2013.
On completion of the course the student should be able to:
- account for the central research questions and concepts of peace- and conflict research
- render the main outlines of some basic theories and models of emergence of armed conflicts and their developments as well as understand security problems between as well as within states
- account for basic patterns in emergence of armed conflicts and their development;
- explain and empirically apply the major concepts of peace- and conflict research.
Course ContentThe course deals with the central concepts as well as the basic theories of the research field as regards to the causes of armed conflicts. These theories and concepts will be applied to case studies in different parts of the world. The course also deals with conflict dynamics and conflict diffusion. The concept of security will be examined on the national, regional as well as global level.
One take-home examination and active participation of the student during the seminars.
Forms of Study
Lectures and mandatory seminars.
GradesThe Swedish grades U - VG
Number of credits:
- Presentation and written examination, 7.5 credits. U - VG
- International Relations: an Introduction, Undergraduate 1, 7.5 ECTS-credits or equivalent.
The number of examinations is limited to five. The course is included in the course package International Relations II. The course replaces SK1036 from 2013-07-01.
LiteratureLitteraturlistan publiceras i kursens kursrum på Fronter senast 30 dagar före kursstart. A literature list will be published in Fronter course room latest 30 days before the course starts.