Magisterutbildning i afrikastudier, 60 högskolepoäng
The Master Programme in African studies is made up of four obligatory courses and a number of optional courses. Students are free to choose any two of the optional courses. The number of optional courses given at any semester will vary. All of these courses deal mainly with Africa south of the Sahara. The Programme is given in English.
The specific objectives of this education programme are that the students’ should:
- Have developed and demonstrated a deeper knowledge as well as a theoretical and critical understanding of political, social and economical features of African societies from the beginning of the nineteenth century to the present
- Be able to analyse the interplay between religion and politics in African societies south of the Sahara and independently apply and evaluate the results when analysing specific African countries and regions
- Be able to demonstrate a theoretical and critical awareness when analysing the importance of gender and the economy of nutrition
- Be able to demonstrate a theoretical awareness when relating education to other factors, such as urbanism, human rights and democratic governance
- Have a deepened capacity to analyse issues of continuity and change in African societies, a critical ability to evaluate different types of sources and a capacity to analyse a general research problem relevant for several countries to thereby, with a high degree of independence, formulate a research problem and communicate it orally and in writing in the form of a thesis on an advanced level.